Monday, February 25, 2013

The boys take the Mission Super Soft Tortilla challenge!


you may recall my previous post about being the recipient of a big ol' box of Mission Super Soft Tortillas.....this is the second post about the fun things that we did with our tortillas (other than eating them straight out of the packaging).

PIZZA TILLA
PIZZA! was the boys first thought about what to do with the tortillas! I thought it defeated the point of them being so wonderfully soft and pliable to crisp them up like pizza crust.....but hey, the boys were happy, the boys were fed. guess I can't complain!
medium Mission Super Soft Tortilla
pizza sauce
1/2 cup of shredded cheese
your choice of toppings - I chose pepperoni, black olives, mushrooms, and garlic stuffed green olives.
heat a non-stick pan to medium or medium-low (depending on your pan and burners). slide the Pizza Tilla from your plate to the heated pan. using a spatula move the Pizza Tilla every so often until the tortilla is nice and crispy and the cheese has melted. 

D thought he had burned his Pizza Tilla and set out to make a second once. while he did that, R and I ate his first crust. it was a bit overcooked but that little bit of char was tasty! so if yours gets a bit darker than you think you might like, try it anyway!

Hubby came home a bit late and decided to try using the oven and the broiler. It was quicker and he got that same nice char that D got. I wouldn't suggest this method unless you are going to cook them for the kids........or like cleaning your oven! 
S'MORSADILLAS
a dessert the boys can customize and make themselves? yes please! this one could be done with bits and pieces leftover from other noshings.

the boys had open faced S'mores in mind while my mind went more towards the dessert quesadilla. my version did a better job of keeping the good stuff in the tortilla, but their version was prettier! either way, we were all happy with our results.


small Mission Super Soft Tortilla
traditional and non-traditional S'mores toppings: I used mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and crumbled graham crackers


fold your tortilla in half to give it a little crease (don't worry, it won't crack) and place in a non-stick skillet at medium heat.
add your fillings to one half of the tortilla and fold the other side over.
using a spatula, press down the top of the tortilla as the fillings are melted, turning over occassionally to crisp the tortilla.

I did not get mine as crisp as I think I would have prefered. however, I had 3 people behind me waiting for the skillet!

the boys opted for open face S'morsadillas and hubby started that way but decided to fold it up at the end for his own S'morsaTACO. Look at the great crisp on his tortilla! they both added the graham cracker after all their fillings melted. guess that is a benefit of doing it open faced?



Disclosure: In case you were sidetracked by mentally wondering if you had the makings of S'morsadillas in your cupboard, I received compensation for this blog post in the form of free tortillas.....which is awesome! There is also the possibility of a fun filled trip away from my family in which they will probably survive on........quesadillas and burritos and S'morsadillas made with Mission Super Soft Tortillas!

1 comment:

MrAndrewBradley said...

I love making tortilla pizzas