Monday, October 22, 2012

why I vote in person......

because, gosh darn it, sure would be great to vote by mail!
  • voting by mail means you get to do everything in the peace and quiet of your own home......assuming you ever have peace and quiet there.
  • voting by mail means you can do it whenever it is convenient for you.
  • voting by mail means you don't have to stand in lines and deal with really slow old people working at the polls who can't seem to figure out that yes, you ARE the Berg that is listed right under the Berg they just checked in! (funny how that works!)
BUT............

voting by mail means you don't walk to the polling place with your kids every election (I'll admit sometimes we drive due to weather or time constraints)

and this is super important to me. it is easy to tell the boys that I voted and they should too. but I think it makes a greater impact when they see their parents take the time and effort to show up at the ballot box. they also get to see the others who have done the same. and yes, they also get to see those really slow old people who call them "honey" or "sugar" and give them an "I just voted" sticker even though that would be a federal offense (voting, not the sticker or sweet name calling).

sadly, this choice has caused me to miss voting in one election. an unplanned business trip out of town snafued my plans. but I figured if I missed one election in 27 years I am doing pretty darn good!

today is the last day to register to vote in California. if you are 18 or over, do it! do it, read about the issues and candidates and make an informed choice! start here now: REGISTER TO VOTE ONLINE!

1 comment:

Julie@My5monkeys said...

I always make it a point to vote and bring my kids along if I do.