Friday, April 26, 2013

Shit on a Shingle.....mmm, mmmm good!

yes, you read that right. and if you were my father's daughter, you can still remember the taste and texture of this extra special not-so-delicious treat.

(the biggest problem with this blog post is how to approach it: totally chronological from the inception of SOS, from my childhood experiences with it, or what brought it to mind now......)

but since this is MY blog.....about ME and MY life......

when I was a kid my dad did a reasonable amount of the cooking. probably more than most men did at the time. he watched and loved the Galloping Gourmet and would cook some fancy schmancy dishes (like escargot and a really yummy dover sole dish that I remember had a cream sauce.......and green grapes). he also cooked what he called Shit on a Shingle. (nice language dad!) at the time I knew nothing of it's illustrious history, just that it looked like a cream of ______ soup meat mixture on top of toast. I don't remember liking or disliking it......it was just WEIRD!

well......as a grown up, a friend posted on Facebook that having asked her family for dinner suggestions they responded with a "whatever shit she wanted to make" or something similar. heck, sounds like a perfect request for SOS....so I told her about my dad's recipe. what I didn't know was that OTHER people ate this stuff too! in fact, it is some sacred old military recipe! obviously, being a Navy man, that is where my dad was exposed to this dish.....which I guess is chipped beef and not hamburger (hey, I was a kid! what did I know?!?!?)

I was startled to find out that my weird family dinner dish was in fact a REAL meal.....what meal or family tradition have you thought was yours alone only to find out EVERYONE does it too?

btw.....in case you are craving Shit on a Shingle now, here are a few good recipes! I remember dad serving it with overcooked peas.

1 comment:

scrapper al said...

Hate the name, but I grew up on this stuff and have fond memories of it. My dad's a Navy man also.