Tuesday, February 18, 2014

moving right along.....short story by short story

I really kinda question whether these are true "short stories." perhaps Huffington just meant they were on the short side?!?!? a couple have been over 200 pages. that is a lot to read in one day.

anyway........this long weekend went a long way in reading short stories!

O Pioneers! by Willa Cather - might be my favorite. a wonderful story of family, hope, and love.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - what a great writer! and what a twisted story! Stephen King has nothing on this guy!

War of the Worlds by HG Wells - totally ahead of his time. truly inventive thinking.

The Pearl by John Steinbeck - with him as the author, I knew it wasn't going to be an easy ending......and it wasn't.

as a random group, I think these four have been the best. each story was well written. none of them got crazy with alliteration. and all of them (with perhaps War of the Worlds as the exception) did a great job of developing the individual characters and making you care about them. I think WotW failed in that area, but I don't think that was his intent anyway. 

that leaves me with 5 to go. of those, I am still waiting on 2 of them from the library. I am first on the hold list but feel like I am running out of time for them to be turned in, sent to my library, with enough time for me to read them. I know I can purchase both of them for my Nook, but wouldn't it be a triumph if I could get through the month without having to purchase any of the books? keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments: