Thursday, June 28, 2012

Magic Mike versus Ted (movie stuffs)

this week I saw two sneak previews: Magic Mike and Ted. one I'll see again and one I will sadly never forget.

Magic Mike is full of male stripper hype. I got to give it to them, the movie is packed with sexy men! however, the storyline is laughable and the characters are so stereotypical that the movie itself comes off (no pun intended) as a parody of what a real stripper movie would be.......as if someone would actually make one. needless to say, the movie does have some good qualities: all of them visual. despite THAT, I would have preferred a bit more editting and a little more thought into the cinematography. at one point the camera angle made me nauseous, and yes, it was the camera angle and not the movie itself. also, the dance scenes went on way too long. after reading a CNN article, I learned that Channing Tatum's "big break" was in Step Up. everything makes a lot more sense now but doesn't change my view that the dance scenes could have been cut down. do strippers really do an entire fully clothed dance number, tear off their clothes at the last minute and then get drowned beneath a waterfall of bills? oh, I could also have skipped Matthew McConaughey singing. do strip shows usually have musical interludes? you tell me......I don't plan on going to do the hands on research (yes, that pun was intended).

my suggestion: Magic Mike is perfect for a girl's night out......that starts with a few friends, a few drinks........a few more drinks......

Ted, on the other hand, was hysterical, and not because someone truly expected me to believe that a teddy bear had magically come to life but just because it was FUNNY! full of potty humor and real characters that found themselves in real life dilemnas (stuffed animals aside) about relationships and priorities but all done with a great sense of humor. and did I mention it was funny? Both Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis played the perfect straight man/woman to Seth McFarlane's fuzzy lead. yes the movie was a bit too sexual and mature to take my boys (though they would protest otherwise) but that is why it was rated "R". the 80's music and movie references might be missed by the younger members of the crowd. even I missed some of the jokes as I wasn't a Flash Gordon fan, but it did not reduce my enjoyment of the movie. so, despite the excessive amount of fart jokes and turnip abuse (I think it was a turnip......I was too busy laughing at Bill Smitrovich's deadpan) I really enjoyed the movie.

my suggestion: leave the kids and turnips at home. and if Patrick Stewart's foul mouthed narration isn't enough for you, keep an eye out for a few cameos.

No comments: