Monday, June 28, 2010

Pace's Picante Chicken Enchiladas

I posted about this on Facebook in May but needed the recipe while grocery shopping today. I can access my blog on my phone much easier than wading through everything on FB, so I figured I would move this over here (with my comments) for myself! If it helps you, then BONUS! lol!!

This recipe is GREAT for any kind of leftover chicken! So if you find whole chickens on sale but don't like certain parts, save them for this recipe!

As in the past, my comments will be italics and following the recipe! And again, sorry about the funky font thing. It is probably because I did a bunch of cutting and pasting!

Picante Chicken Enchiladas
From: Campbell's Kitchen
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes
Serves: 6

1 jar (16 ounces) Pace® Picante Sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
(leftover chicken & I shredded it)
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
(I used whatever shredded cheese I had on hand!)
6 flour tortillas (8-inch), warmed
(why warm them? I didn't!)
1 green onion, thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
(I skipped)

Stir 3/4 cup picante sauce, sour cream and chili powder in a medium bowl.

Stir the picante sauce mixture, chicken and cheese in a large bowl.

Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side up in a lightly greased 11 x 8-inch shallow baking dish. Pour the remaining picante sauce over the filled tortillas. Cover the baking dish.

Bake at 350°F. for 40 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. Top with the onion.

My comments:

  • I made about 1.5 times the recipe so that there were 2 enchiladas per person.

  • I didn't HAVE any Pace, so I used up leftovers of 3 different salsas we had. a couple of them were spicier so I skipped the chili powder.

  • a couple of the salsas had corn in them and that was nice. SO, if you use the Pace, maybe add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cooked corn?

  • I also think adding sliced black olives would be tasty. but really, aren't olives always tasty?
  • I don't like cleaning dishes so I mixed everything in the same bowl, just added the chicken and cheese after mixing the other stuff.

  • I used toothpicks to hold the enchiladas together while they cooked.

  • when the time was up, I took off the tin foil and sprinkled about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top and then placed it back in the oven while I made the salad. maybe if you want to make it fancier looking, add a sliced black olive to the top of each one?

No comments: